Thursday, September 11, 2014

Mary Kom ready for the Incheon challenge

Women’s boxing superstar M.C. Mary Kom is an ageless beauty on the canvas. A mother of three, the 31-year-old Mary Kom has redefined the scope for an Indian woman athlete by making two comebacks after child birth.
A five-time world champion and a London Olympics bronze medallist, Mary Kom is now stretching herself to the limit at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium here in order to be fighting fit for the upcoming Incheon Asian Games.
Mary Kom ( photo by The hindu)
Returning to action after a two-year layoff, which witnessed the birth of her third child and two surgeries, Mary Kom is neither physically affected nor mentally exhausted.
“My dream (of winning a gold medal) was not fulfilled in the last Olympics. That’s why I came back.
“I am trying my best to fulfil my dream. After (London) Olympics, I had a baby.
“The comeback was faster than the last time as the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games were approaching very fast. I am happy that I have regained fitness,” Mary Kom told The Hindu.
“After remaining out of the ring for two years, it was very hard to return. I had two surgeries — one for the delivery and one for the removal of the gall bladder. We face so many problems in life, but fight back. This is my passion and this is what I love to do. I always try to win a medal for the country, but even if I do not win a medal I enjoy the experience.”
Asked about her expectations at Incheon, Mary Kom, a bronze medallist in the 2010 Asiad, refrained from predicting anything.
“I cannot say anything about the competition. Anything can happen.
“I have a lot of experience and I will manage (even without any competitive exposure prior to the Games). In the Asian Games all the opponents from different countries are the same.
“I just train hard and keep focus.”
Mary Kom, who will compete in the 51kg category, said she did not have any butterflies in her stomach even as she was about to take part in a top-level competition after a long gap.
“When I go into the ring, I do not have any different feeling. I have been practising and now I am hundred per cent fit and in my old form.”
Mary Kom asserted that she felt as young as ever while stepping into the ring.
“I have no idea about the age factor. I will go for the Rio Olympics and let’s see what happens in between,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment